Monday 25 June 2012

Drawing My Own Irish Conclusion - 5th Postcard

Water Pump
Postcard 5

As you know I'm somewhat fascinated by the ancient water pump outside the back door of this house. Although it's missing its handle - which would have been large  - it is elegant standing there by the wall.

So elegant, in fact, that I decided to draw it; I am on holiday after all.

So I took my drafting book - Sean got it for me in Skibbereen -  thick drawing paper, bound in black. I turned past the three pages of the new novel, found a fresh page and started to draw,

I needed a table for my coffee and pencils so I improvised with a heavy zinc bucket and a roof slate that was lying around.

Then I sat down outside the scullery in a folding garden chair and started to draw.  There  in the sunshine I felt around me other women - cooks, scullery maids and skivvies - who must have sat there on sunshiny days in the past,  peeling potatoes, shelling peas, sewing tea-towels, mending socks and braiding hair: sisters all.

 Of course in those days the water pump would have had its elegant handle and would have been used for water for the house,

I'd forgotten how much I like drawing: not very good at it but it's very restful and perhaps only possible on holiday where the air is light and bright and clear.

Wish you were here
wx
My very humble drawing...

2 comments:

  1. You are good at drawing ,how lovely to be able to do that. You must be getting so many ideas for books living in such a place even for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place does inspire me Anne. There are so many stories here. They smoke the air. w. Thanks for dropping by. wx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...